Friday, April 19, 2013

Forlorn Path Interview



1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?
Yuriy: The album only came out two months ago, so we're working on getting it out there. So far we've seen a lot of great responses and reviews, which is excellent. I'm already having ideas for future material now and then. But the album was a major endeavor that took a lot of energy, and we're taking some time to take care of things outside of the band right now.
2. How would you describe the musical sound of the new album?
Yuriy: Black/Doom? Blackened doom? That's how most people seem to describe it, and I'd agree with that. It's a dark album, depressing in a way, but hopeful at the same time. It's meant to be a kind of journey through different emotions, ranging from sadness to despair to hope. Most of the reviews have been pretty spot on in describing the sound, actually, except they do a much better job than I could.

3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the new release?
Yuriy: Most of them deal with personal loss, grief - as well as the state of the world as a whole. So, as I said - pretty depressing. But I think there's beauty in that, too.
Dave: My biggest lyrical contribution was for "What Lies Beyond". I got the idea for it from an episode of "The Universe" that was talking about "The Death of the Universe" and the 'deep freeze' theory. The lyrics were heavily inspired by that show and theory.

4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the band's name?
Yuriy: 
It has to do with many concepts...I don't want to get too into this, but one important part of it is the idea of being true to yourself.

5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
Dave: We had a very....peculiar....stage presence with the configuration of our old lineup. Keyboards were in the middle along with the bass and they were flanked by the two guitars. That's definitely not something you see every day in metal!
Yuriy: For future performances, I'd like to make sure we create a proper atmosphere. Lighting, incense...it needs to all fit together to create an experience for the people at the show. I want it to be something special, especially since we don't get to play often these days.

6. Do you have any touring plans for the future?
Yuriy: 
I'd really like to, but right now our lives are so unstable that it would be difficult to organize. However, once things calm down a bit, if there's enough of a demand, it's definitely possible. Hell, even if there's only five people in an entire city that would come out to see us, it would still be worth it.

7. Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label and if so what kind of label do you feel that would be a perfect fit for the music?
Yuriy: Well, it would certainly be nice to be signed to something like Profound Lore or Peaceville, but whether we'll be fortunate enough for that to happen remains to be seen. I don't really think about that stuff too much - I just want to keep writing music, and hopefully some people somewhere are able to connect with it. That's all that matters.

8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of underground metal?
Dave: The bits and pieces that we've been hearing are very positive! It has been absolutely thrilling to hear positive feedback on the CD from so many different people and places.
Yuriy: Yeah, it's a great feeling waking up and seeing that someone over in Germany or Poland or Italy had really enjoyed the album. It's really rewarding to be able to connect with people from all over the world through our music.

9. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
Yuriy: It took us quite a bit of time to find our sound, but I think Man's Last Portrait is a good example of where the band is going, musically. To be honest, I like it far more than our demos, and it also draws more on the influences closest to my heart; the ones I always end up coming back to. Of course, the next release won't be exactly the same - I'd like to incorporate new elements and give people something really unique. But it will still be dark, and likely quite melodic. One thing I can say for sure is I'd like to devote ample time to the songwriting process, and record in an environment that will really get us the perfect sound for the music. It may take quite a bit of time, but I guarantee it will be worth the wait.

10. Are there any other musical projects besides this band or is this a full time line up?
Dave: We're pretty busy in our lives outside of Forlorn Path; I am working on becoming a history teacher and Yuriy is working on a computer science degree, and we both have jobs outside of school as well, so we're always doing stuff!
Yuriy: That sums it up. Absolutely no time for other projects right now. I barely even have time to make it out to a local show anymore. I'm just looking forward to being done with this degree so that I can have time to devote to music again.

11. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Dave: I grew up on New Wave of British Heavy Metal and honestly didn't really get into black/doom metal until I met Yuriy in college. I'll listen to choral music one day and punk rock the next; I'm one of those people. My most recent obsession was dubstep, but I think I'm finally getting out of that phase now...
Yuriy: A lot of people have been noticing influences like Agalloch and Swallow the Sun in our music, and that's definitely accurate. I've been listening to them for many years. A few other doom metal bands - I've been listening to Woods of Ypres quite a bit lately. A lot of quiet stuff, too - Tenhi, Ulver, various classical/new age pianists and such.

12. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
Dave: I'm really into politics/current events, follow science news pretty closely, love video games and doing stuff outside.
Yuriy: Hiking, reading, and red wine. Mostly low key stuff. I play videogames on the rare occasion something I would enjoy comes out. The Witcher was great.

13. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?

No comments:

Post a Comment